Whether You’re Cooking for One or Cooking for Many, These Easy Dishes are Sure to Impress Anyone Gathered at Your Kitchen Table
FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICH WITH JALAPEÑO SLAW
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Cayenne pepper, to taste
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Vegetable oil (as needed)
Sesame seed bun
1. Mix the flour, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne pepper together in a shallow bowl.
2. Fill your skillet with oil to about 1-inch deep and heat to 350 degrees.
3. Coat your chicken breasts in the flour and seasoning mixture, then carefully place them into the heated oil.
4. Cook until golden brown with an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
5. Lightly toast your sesame seed bun, then top with pickles, fried chicken breast and slaw to taste.
FOR THE SLAW
Combine mayo, hot sauce, garlic and dill pickle juice with shredded red cabbage, pickled onions and candied jalapeños.
+ CHANGE UP THE FLAVOR BY CREATING DIFFERENT SLAWS. YOU CAN DO THIS BY ADDING DIFFERENT SEASONING AND HERBS TO THE MAYO.
+ IN A BREAKFAST MOOD? CREATE THIS SANDWICH WITH WAFFLES INSTEAD OF A BUN AND ADD SYRUP TO THE CHICKEN ONCE FRIED.
+ OVERCROWDING THE SKILLET WILL REDUCE THE OIL’S TEMPERATURE. KEEP THE OIL ABOUT 325 DEGREES WHILE FRYING FOR EVEN COOKING.
CARNE ASADA STREET TACOS WITH AVOCADO RELISH
1/2 red onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons adobo sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
Choice of steak
Fresh flour or corn tortillas
1. Blend the red onion, garlic, adobo sauce, olive oil and seasoning in a food processor or blender, adding water as needed until smooth.
2. Marinate the steak in the mixture for at least 30 minutes prior to grilling.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large grill pan and add the steak, cooking to the desired doneness. Let rest in a foil tent for 10 minutes then chop into small pieces and assemble tacos as desired.
FOR THE RELISH
Chop and combine avocado, fresh jalapeño, cilantro, onion, lime juice and salt to taste. Top with queso fresco and pepitas as desired.
Steak marinade from CulinaryHill.com.
+ MARINATE THE STEAK IN THE REFRIGERATOR FOR UP TO 24 HOURS FOR EXTRA FLAVOR.
LOADED FRIES WITH BACON AND HERBS
INGREDIENTS (CHEESE SAUCE)
1/2 pound white American cheese
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
Hatch green chiles
Cumin, to taste
Garlic salt, to taste
Cayenne pepper, to taste
1. Add the cheese, milk and butter to a saucepan and heat over low heat until the cheese is melted. You can add additional milk based on how thin you want your sauce to be.
2. When cheese is melted, remove from heat and stir in chiles and seasoning to taste.
3. Pour over crispy fries and top with bacon, caramelized onions and herbs as desired.
CHANGE IT UP
Use the cheese sauce as a base, but consider changing up the toppings for unique flavors. Ideas include cajun fries topped with andouille sausage, cajun shrimp and olive tapenade; loaded baked potato fries topped with sour cream, cheddar, bacon and scallions; or buffalo chicken fries topped with buffalo chicken, ranch, blue cheese crumbles and chopped celery.
Cheese sauce from EatingOnADime.com
+ HAVING A PARTY? TRY HAVING A FRY BAR. START WITH FRIES AND CHEESE SAUCE BUT STOCK A VARIETY OF TOPPINGS FOR YOUR GUESTS TO CUSTOMIZE.
+ LEFTOVERS? DON’T THROW THEM AWAY. REHEAT EXTRA FRIES IN THE OVEN TO REVIVE THEIR CRISP.
+ IF YOU’RE MAKING HOMEMADE FRIES, FRY THEM TWICE TO MAKE THEM EXTRA CRISPY.